Saturday, August 4, 2007

Miami Valley Bike Trails

I have recently relocated to the Miami Valley and am bowled over by the quality of the local trail system. I do not think that the local people appreciate what a gem to the community that this is. The Dayton area is home to several hundred miles of trails with a wide variety of settings ranging from urban to rural. The local trail system is connected to the Buckeye Trail which circumnavigates the state. There is an excellent website, www.miamivalleytrails.org, which provides an excellent overview of this extensive system. I am particularly lucky in that I live just a few blocks from Springfield's Buck Creek Trail. While it is situated entirely within the limits of Springfield this trail winds along the creek for several miles through a couple of parks and a forested area, which appears to be a flood control easement. Along most of this route you would never know that you were in the city. A few miles downstream this trail intersects the Simon Kenton Trail, which crosses Buck Creek on an old railroad steel truss bridge. The Simon Kenton Trail connects to the Little Miami Trail, which extends all the way to Cincinnati. Below the bridge the creek waters tumble over a rocky area with a low level dam visible in the distance. i love to stand on this bridge and relax and get my nature fix before starting on the return leg of my journey.
I recently bought a bicycle, and once I bling it out with lights, carrying cases, and whatever other accessories happen to strike my fancy I plan to hit the trails pretty heavily. My father and I biked our way all over the Miami Valley when I was a kid, but when I was eleven we moved to a very hilly area and I gave up the hobby. I am planning on eventually participating in a GOBA
event.

No comments: